After Sicilians arrived en masse to New Orleans beginning in late 1800s, the area near the French Market became known as “Little Palermo” and the “Italian Sector.”
Sicilian workers often stopped into Central Grocery for bread, olives, cold cuts, and cheese for lunch, which they ate standing up or with a plate perched tenuously in their laps. Salvatore Lupo, who opened Central Grocery across from the French Market in 1906, decided there had to be a better way — and it involved bread as big as a plate.
The famous sandwich, layered with olive salad, genoa salami, ham, mortadella, provolone, and Swiss cheese, was born.
This map includes mostly classics, plus a couple beloved twists on the classic.
Did we miss a favorite? Leave a comment or send a tip and let us know.Read More