clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Willie Mae’s Debuts Limited Edition Fried Chicken Sandwich, Available Through November

Plus, New Orleans restaurant week expands to takeout for the first time, and more news to know today

If you buy something from an Eater link, Vox Media may earn a commission. See our ethics policy.

“The Willie Mae” fried chicken sandwich  
Natalie Garst/Official Photo

Welcome to p.m. Intel, your afternoon roundup of New Orleans food and restaurant news. Tips are always welcome, drop them here.

  • A collaboration between Willie Mae’s Scotch House and Los Angeles’s HiHo Cheeseburger is bringing the iconic NOLA restaurant’s first fried chicken sandwich to diners for a limited run. The ‘Willie Mae sandwich’ (released last week in Los Angeles) will be available at Willie Mae’s Scotch House and Willie’s Mae’s at the Market and for delivery through Postmates, beginning today, September 28, through November 30. Made with Willie Mae’s breast meat, bread and butter pickles, a honey drizzle, red cabbage, and sauce on a brioche bun, the sandwich was created by Kerry Seaton-Stewart, great-granddaughter to Willie Mae Seaton, and HiHo Cheeseburger’s founders Jerry Greenberg and Lowell Sharron. Seaton-Stewart plans to travel to LA monthly to “ensure the quality and secrecy of her great grandmother’s recipe.”
  • New Orleans’s restaurant week has expanded to takeout for the first time this year, October 5 through 11. The prix fixe, two-course lunches (for $25 or less), and three-course dinners and brunches (for $45 or less) from participating restaurants will be available for both dine-in and takeout. Check back with Eater for a roundup of top-notch restaurant week deals.
  • The city allowed Tracey’s to reopen on Friday, after the bar and restaurant submitted a “corrective action plan” that was approved by the Safety and Permits department. City officials said they would continue to monitor Tracey’s to make sure the plan is being executed as presented, reports WWL, after the bar was ordered closed last week for appearing to violate city COVID guidelines.
  • City spokesman Beau Tidwell told WWL on Friday that four other New Orleans businesses had been shut down for coronavirus violations, and that two others were issued written warnings but not shut down. Three of the businesses that were ordered closed — Carre Restaurant and Bar, Estrella Steak and Lobster House, and Industry Bar and Kitchen — are next to one another on Decatur Street. Saints and Sinners on Bourbon Street (Channing Tatum’s tourist trap bar) and CBD Social on St. Charles Avenue were both issued written warnings.
  • Louisiana Gov. John Bel Edwards has requested a federal disaster declaration for state fisheries impacted by Hurricane Laura. “The impacted parishes were home to nearly 2,500 commercial fishermen and vessels combined and over 100 wholesale dealers participating in the oyster, shrimp, crab, and saltwater finfish fisheries,” Edwards wrote in a letter to U.S. Sec. of Commerce Wilbur Ross. Hurricane Sally is estimated to have done $1.6 billion in damage to Louisiana crops and forests; the impact on fisheries is still being evaluated by the Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries.

Looking for restaurant recs or a place to chat about favorite restaurants? Join Eater NOLA’s Facebook group.

Sign up for the newsletter Sign up for the Eater New Orleans newsletter

The freshest news from the local food world