clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Louisiana Gov. Denies Jefferson Parish’s Attempt to Open Bars

Plus, 20 New Orleans restaurants extend their Coolinary dining deals into fall, and more news to know today

The governor said Jefferson parish does not meet the criteria for opening bars
Shutterstock

Welcome to p.m. Intel, your afternoon roundup of New Orleans food and restaurant news. Tips are always welcome, drop them here.

  • A resolution drafted by New Orleans neighbor Jefferson Parish requesting Louisiana Gov. John Bel Edwards allow it to open bars was denied yesterday, reports WDSU. The request followed the governor’s announcement last week that parishes that report less than five percent COVID-19 positivity rate for two consecutive weeks would be able to “opt in” to allowing bars to open for on-premise consumption. Gov. Edwards’s statement says in part that “Jefferson parish does not meet the criteria set forth by the Governor’s phase 3 order to open bars. As we stated last week, bars will remain closed to on-premise consumption in parishes with high incidents of COVID as evidenced by their positivity rate.”
  • Parishes that meet the governor’s criteria and have opted in to allowing bars to open? St. John the Baptist and Plaquemines were the first two to do so, followed by Acadia, St. Landry, and St. Charles. Orleans Parish qualifies under the positivity rate benchmarks, but New Orleans Mayor LaToya Cantrell has stated since the governor’s phase 3 order that the city will remain in phase 2 for the time being.
  • Also on Thursday, Gov. Edwards announced a change to his original phase 3 guidelines for reopened bars, extending alcohol sales by another hour to 11 p.m. While bars still have to close at 11 p.m., alcohol sales can continue until then instead of 10 p.m.. The other guidelines for bars — operating at a maximum of 25 percent capacity for no more than 50 customers, offering service only at tables, etc — remain in place.
  • New Orleans’s annual summer dining promotion Coolinary officially ended September 14, but at least 20 restaurants have chosen to extend their special menus through the end of the month or longer. The list of participating restaurants includes some of Eater’s top picks for this year’s don’t-miss deals at Bywater American Bistro, Gabrielle, Bourbon House, and more.
  • In other extension news, the City of New Orleans announced this week that the COVID-19 Meal Assistance Program, a FEMA-backed program to bring meals to those in need with the help of local restaurants has been extended through October 2. The program, a partnership between the city, Revolution Foods, and Chef’s Brigade, hires local restaurants to prepare meals that are delivered to those who qualify. To sign up for meal assistance, call 3-1-1 or visit Nola311.org/MealAssist.

Eater is tracking the impact of the novel coronavirus on the city’s restaurant industry. Have a story to share? Reach out at nola@eater.com.

Looking for restaurant recs or a place to chat about favorite restaurants? Join Eater NOLA’s Facebook group.

Sign up for the newsletter Sign up for the Eater New Orleans newsletter

The freshest news from the local food world