clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Bars in New Orleans Will Not Reopen With the Rest of the State

New Orleans could move into a “modified” version of phase two next week

The French Quarter’s Cafe Lafitte in Exile on March 26 
Photo by EMILY KASK/30203169A/AFP via Getty Images

The City of New Orleans will not enter into phase two of reopening on Friday along with the rest of the state, a key aspect of which allows bars that don’t serve food to open at 25 percent capacity and restaurants to double their occupancy from 25 percent to 50 percent.

Gov. John Bel Edwards announced the state’s plan for phase two earlier this week, which in addition to bars and expanded capacity for restaurants also allows casinos elsewhere in the state to expand their capacity starting June 5. Harrah’s in New Orleans will remain closed, though Cantrell has said she’s in talks with the casino on reopening plans.

On Wednesday, New Orleans health director Dr. Jennifer Avegno said the city could move into a “modified version” of phase two sometime next week, depending on the data. Mayor LaToya Cantrell has indicated the city’s next phase may “loosen” some of the current restrictions that the state did not implement during phase one, which included a requirement for restaurants to track dine-in customers. There’s been no indication if New Orleans’s next phase will allow bars without food permits to open, a sector that’s been shut down since the initial stay-at-home proclamation on March 16.

Avegno said that New Orleans officials will review the state’s guidelines when they’re released on Friday, and expects to announce the city’s plan for phase two on Monday or Tuesday. Check back with Eater for details.

Do you have a restaurant tip? Noticed a spot in your neighborhood opening or closing? Leave a comment or send an email.

Sign up for the newsletter Sign up for the Eater New Orleans newsletter

The freshest news from the local food world