In a statement Tuesday morning, New Orleans mayor LaToya Cantrell said that two key changes to the state’s revised stay-at-home order, announced by Governor John Bel Edwards yesterday, would not apply to Orleans Parish.
The Governor’s announcement will not result in any changes to the existing #StayHome mandate in Orleans Parish. Restaurants will not be allowed to host curbside seating and stores will not be allowed to open curbside delivery. Yesterday, I issued the following statement ⬇️ pic.twitter.com/IABw2BdvlO— Mayor LaToya Cantrell (@mayorcantrell) April 28, 2020
This means that restaurants in New Orleans won’t be able to open outdoor seating on May 1 along with other parts of the state, where establishments will be able to offer takeout dining at outside tables. Retail stores in Orleans Parish malls will also not be allowed to open for curbside delivery/pickup.
The statement does not address the third key aspect of the Governor’s revised order, which requires all employees dealing with the public to wear masks or face coverings starting on Friday.
The state’s revised stay-at-home order now runs through May 15, putting its end date in line with New Orleans’s, which Cantrell extended last month. Under Cantrell’s order, restaurants are allowed to operate for takeout and delivery services only, and breweries and wine shops that hold a retail license can sell alcohol to-go.
Governor Edwards said Monday that he’ll make an announcement on May 11 about whether or not the state is ready to move into the first phase of reopening after May 15. During Phase One, Edwards said restaurants will be able to open dining rooms with modifications but bars will remain closed.
Eater is tracking the impact of the novel coronavirus on the city’s restaurant industry. Have a story to share? Reach out at email@example.com.