Sucre, New Orleans’s once-popular boutique dessert shop that abruptly closed all of its locations last year, will reopen under new owners, the company announced on Instagram Thursday. According to company records, Sucre’s current owner is Aaron Motwani, known for his fried chicken and daiquiri chain Willie’s Chicken Shack and his family’s ownership of large amounts of French Quarter real estate.
Sucre first opened in 2007 on Magazine Street and quickly became known for its macarons and other picture-perfect confections, eventually expanding with two more shops and a restaurant, Salon by Sucre, in the French Quarter. The company shut down all three locations and the restaurant in June 2019, six months after a NOLA.com report revealed that co-founder Tariq Hanna’s resignation the previous summer, in August 2018, came after allegations of sexual misconduct. Hanna remained a partial owner of the company after he stepped down. The company said at the time it was closing after a year of trying and failing “to bring the company to financial profitability.” Bankruptcy filings later showed declining sales amid mounting expenses.
An Instagram story says new owners are “reviving a beloved New Orleans classic, transformed as a destination dessert and coffee boutique with a sophisticated new atmosphere.” The story goes on to say that “at the helm are two community-minded native New Orleanians: business owner Ayesha Motwani and executive pastry chef Ashley McMillan.” McMillan previously worked as Sucre’s executive pastry chef; Motwani is a retired attorney and married to Aaron Motwani.
According to the Instagram story, Sucre will open in its original Magazine Street location December 1, 2020.
Do you have a restaurant tip? Noticed a spot in your neighborhood opening or closing? Leave a comment or send an email.
Looking for restaurant recs or a place to chat about favorite restaurants? Join Eater NOLA’s Facebook group.