Sofia is the Denver group’s first venture outside of Colorado, where it owns Señor Bear, Bar Dough, and the recently-opened Morin. Talia Diele is the restaurant’s head chef, most recently serving in the same role at the short-lived Wayward in Denver before relocating to New Orleans last year. The bar is led by a veteran of Cochon and the Catahoula Hotel, Hope Clarke.
Named after iconic actress Sophia Loren (despite its spelling?), the casual, stylish spot next to Auction House Market on Julia Street serves non-regionally specific Italian fare including pizza, risotto, and shrimp scampi; dishes with compositions the owners deem “feminine.”
Sofia paves the way for two highly-anticipated Italian restaurants also opening in the downtown neighborhood this year: a location of Italy’s acclaimed Bonci Pizzeria in a new mixed-use development and the latest project from Donald Link’s restaurant group, Gianna, to be led by James Beard Award-winning Herbsaint chef Rebecca Wilcomb.
Sofia is open for dinner Tuesday through Thursday from 5 p.m. to 11 p.m and Saturday 5 p.m. to midnight.
Do you have a hot restaurant tip? Noticed a spot in your neighborhood opening or closing? Send an email.
Looking for restaurant recs or a place to chat about favorite restaurants? Join Eater NOLA’s Facebook group.
- New Italian Spot, Sofia, Finds a Home in the Warehouse District [ENOLA]
- Denver’s French Food Scene Steps Forward With Morin [EDEN]
- Wayward Will Close Sunday in Riverfront Park [EDEN]
- Italy’s Acclaimed Bonci Pizzeria Is Coming to New Orleans [ENOLA]
- Here’s Everything To Know Right Now About Donald Link’s New Restaurant, Gianna [ENOLA]