Morning Call’s last existing location is closing up shop on January 20, ending its seven-year run serving beignets and coffee at City Park’s “casino building.”
Morning Call, operating month-to-month since its lease ended over a year ago, has occupied the site in City Park since 2012. The 148-year old coffee stand closed it’s only other remaining location last April just before bidding for the City Park stand initially opened, but has vowed to return to the city with a new location.
Cafe du Monde was initially awarded the City Park lease in June, but it was nullified after Morning Call filed suit against the Park. The judge also nullified the bidding process itself, saying none of the shops had entirely followed the requirements. Bidding re-opened in September and this time around, it was Cafe du Monde who bid highest with $25,760 a month.
According to The Advocate, Cafe du Monde will start out serving beignets and coffee from a food truck during the 90-day period it has to renovate the Casino Building, per its new lease with City Park. Morning Call has until January 27 to move out.
Do you have a hot restaurant tip? Noticed somewhere in your neighborhood opening or closing? Send an email.
Looking for restaurant recs or a place to chat about favorite restaurants? Join Eater NOLA’s Facebook group.
- Cafe du Monde Has Entered the Highest Bid in the City Park Beignet Battle [ENOLA]
- Morning Call Coffee Stand Is Moving the City Park Beignet Battle to Court [ENOLA]
- Beignet Cafe Morning Call’s Future Still Unclear After Judge’s Ruling [ENOLA]
- City Park Goes Back to Square One in Bidding War Over its Beignet Stand Lease [ENOLA]
- Café du Monde offers high bid for City Park beignet parlor; Morning Call looking for new home [ADVOCATE]
- Café du Monde will start in New Orleans City Park with beignet food truck; see timeline for opening [ADVOCATE]