It’s nearly time for Liberty’s Kitchen’s Come Grow With Us fundraising bash, easily one of the city’s top dining (and drinking and dancing) nights. On September 21, the non-profit organization that provides training and support to underserved young adults will take over the Ace Hotel. Plus, there’s an unreal silent auction featuring items like a private dinner for 10 from Martha Wiggins.
This year’s event honors Max Williams and Kisscha “Keedy” Tiffith with the Janet Gorence Davas Youth Advocate Award, Troy James with the Calvin Johnson Youth Advocate Award, and the late Arthur “Mr. Okra” Robinson with the inaugural Food Justice Champion Award.
Now in its tenth year, two Liberty’s Kitchen alumni are among the culinary talent dishing it out. Syrena Johnson, who won Chopped earlier this year, will serve bananas Foster egg rolls. Meanwhile, Gioia Barconey, who operates Greezy NOLA, will serve crawfish étouffée and basil rice.
With over 20 of the city’s top chefs and restaurants working alongside Liberty Kitchen trainees, it’s best to approach the night with a plan. Here’s the food to know to plan an attack.
- Cavan: salmon poke tacos
- Longway Tavern: salmon confit
- Meauxbar: duck confit lettuce wrap
- Sylvain: gochujang rubbed pork belly
- Greezy NOLA Catering: crawfish étouffée with basil rice
- Restaurant R’evolution: Creole turtle soup, deviled egg crostini
- Herbsaint: crab with pumpkin, chilis, and pumpkin seeds
- Mondo Restaurant: Nepali lamb dumplings, spicy tomato chutney, and mirliton pickle
- Liberty’s Kitchen: foie gras cinnamon roll
- Syrena Johnson: bananas Foster egg roll
- Bacchanal: vegan grilled seasonal vegetable roll with romesco
- Galatoire’s: turtle soup au sherry
- City Greens: Triple G chicken
- Ruby Slipper Café: white chocolate bread pudding with candied bacon
- Doris Metropolitan: tuna tartare
- Carmo: vegan tiradito
- Josephine Estelle: asiago arancini with fennel and pecan romesco
- Seaworthy: smoked cobia with fennel and prosciutto
- Bittersweet Confections: assorted pastries
- Bakery Bar: dobites
- Stumptown Coffee: hot coffee, cold brew, espresso
Do you have a hot restaurant tip? Noticed a spot in your neighborhood opening or closing? Send an email. Let us get the facts.·
Looking for restaurant recs or a place to chat about favorite restaurants? Join Eater NOLA’s Facebook group.
- Tickets to Come Grow With Us [official]