Haydel’s Bakery, named one of Eater NOLA’s Essential Bakeries, is expanding to Magazine Street in early September. Ryan Haydel, a third-gen Haydel baker, is opening the satellite shop in the former Fleurty Girl spot across from Rum House, Todd Price reported. (Haydel is married to Fleurty Girl owner Lauren LeBlanc Haydel.)
The petite Haydel’s Bake Shop won’t actually bake anything onsite though. Instead, it’ll source everything (petit fours, 6-inch cakes, and other popular items) from the original Jeff Highway location.
The original Haydel’s was born in 1959 when Lloyd Haydel took over the Sunny Flake Bakery— because he wanted to turn it into a trampoline center. It didn’t work, so Lloyd Haydel reverted to what did work, namely doughnuts.
Since then, the bakery has expanded into cakes, pastries, Hubig’s-like hand pies, king cakes, and king cake stunts. Other than holding the title to world’s largest king cake, the bakery bangs out 60,000 of those gems every Carnival season.
Haydel’s Bake Shop, located at 3117 Magazine Street, anticipates opening in September.
Do you have a hot restaurant tip? Noticed a spot in your neighborhood opening or closing? Send an email. Let us get the facts.
Looking for restaurant recs or a place to chat about favorite restaurants? Join Eater NOLA’s Facebook group.
- Haydel’s Bakery To Open Magazine Street Cafe [ENOLA]
- Sofia Vergara Scores Haydel’s Bakery King Cake [ENOLA]
- The Best King Cakes of 2018 [ENOLA]
- Video: Here’s How Haydel’s Makes King Caked [ENOLA]
- All Haydel’s Coverage [ENOLA]
- All Coming Attractions Coverage [ENOLA]
- All Expansions Coverage [ENOLA]
- New Orleans’ Best Bakeries [ENOLA]
- Haydel’s Bakery Jumps in The Hand Pie Game [ENOLA]