The Swiss Confectionery, a bakery that opened in New Orleans in 1921, is moving from its current home on St. Charles Avenue near Julia Street to the American Can Company building in Mid City this March, according to a report by Todd Price. That building is also host to Pearl Wines, PJ’s Coffee, a number of apartments, and a weekly farmers market. This will be the fourth home in New Orleans for the bakeshop known for special occasion cakes (wedding cakes, poboy cakes, etc).
The bakery is now owned and run by Stefan Culotta, the great-great-grandson of the founder. The bakery owned the building that housed it on St. Charles, but John Georges bought the property for $1.3 million in June 2017.
According to the report, there are no real changes planned for the bakery beyond the address.