Jazz Fest may be over, but don't despair. This is a rare year that the fest doesn't coincide with The Kentucky Derby, so you'll need to make plans for where to watch this weekend with a mint julep in hand.
Here are a few spots that will ring in Derby Day on Saturday, May 7 (The Kentucky Derby posts at 5:34 p.m. Central Time). Check back this week for more additions.
- Critically-acclaimed bourbon mecca Kenton's is throwing a viewing party from 3 to 6 p.m. with barbecue, snacks (deviled eggs, oysters and more), derby cocktails, and a chance to win a bottle of Buffalo Trace.
- Special derby cocktails ($10/each) and complimentary tea sandwiches will abound at the Quarter swanky haunt Galatoire's 33 Bar & Steak on May 7 from 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. Derby attire encouraged.
- Also in the Quarter, Pat O'Brien's will do half-priced Mint Juleps from noon to post time.
- In the CBD, various Fulton Street business including Mannings, Apres Lounge, Ernst Cafe and Fulton Alley host the Derby on Fulton festival at 1 p.m. with live music, food, drinks, racing pools and prizes, and a 'grand viewing' of the race.
- Just looking for an exceptional Mint Julep? Start with the Cocktail Heatmap and these iconic New Orleans bars.
Don't see an upcoming Derby party included? Hit the tipline or comments and let us know.