Fans of New Orleans cake-phenom Debbie Does Doberge will be extremely happy to hear that baker Charlote McGehee and partner Charles Mary are opening Bakery Bar inside the former Eleven 79 space (1179 Annunciation St.) this month, Ian McNulty reports.
While Debbie Does Doberge has made a name for itself as the best dessert option in Mid City—from Twelve Mile Limit to Toups Meatery—the new LGD home base will allow McGehee to supply her restaurant clients via a production bakery in back, and also showcase her insanely delicious doberge up front, along with cafe fare and a great cocktail program. Hello, absinthe frappes:
Here's what to expect at Bakery Bar:
- A full bar with craft drinks and 'vintage cocktails' from Coquette/Twelve Mile alum Jeff Schwartz
- Cafe fare including charcuterie, cheese plates and sandwiches including "pimento cheese scone sandwiches...open face shrimp remoulade banh mi"
- Former Coquette sandwich-whiz Mason Hereford is consulting on opening menu
- Rotating dessert specials will include mini dobites and a doberge brulee. There will also be a pastry case for the doberge cakes with flavors ranging from pistachio to key lime.
- A light revamp of the former Eleven 79 space with a 'brighter' feel
- Opening April 19
- On Facebook here