It may feel too early to be pulling out those holiday decorations, but its really never too soon for a stiff drink. Here in New Orleans’, some of the city’s best bartenders are currently cooking up some winter-themed cocktail recipes in preparation for the annual cocktail event Tales of the Toddy. The holiday-themed affair hosted at the Hyatt Regency New Orleans on a December 8 will bring together some of the area’s top food and beverage slingers to compete for the titles of Best Cocktail, Best Restaurant, and Best Costume.
This year’s affair will feature the return of the “Holiday Duos” competition in which 52 of the city’s finest drink makers are paired up and tasked with creating an original wintery beverage. Below, find a drink from one of this year’s teams, Laura Bellucci of SoBou and Ferrel Dugas of Commander’s Palace. Dubbed The Big Farg-O, it’s a warm and spicy rum beverage that could help put you into the holiday spirit.
The Big Farg-O
1.25 ounces Big-O Ginger liqueur
1oz Pyrat Rum, XO Reserve Rum
.25 ounces High West Campfire
1.5 Chai Espresso
2 drops Angostura Bitters
• Fold .5 ounces Big O Liqueur into 4 ounces Vanilla Ice cream. Chill until frozen. Ice cream can be frozen with liquid nitrogen for a snappy presentation — as we will doing for tales of the toddy.
• Over a burner, heat 8 ounces water with 3 tablespoons Chai Espresso tea for 3 minutes to make a dirty chai.
• Add Pyrat Rum and Big O and 2 dashes of Angostura bitters.
• When warm, transfer to thermos.
• Pour over 1 small scoop of Big O ice cream garnish. Drizzle with High West Camp Fire.
Glassware: Ours will be served hot so insulted cups would be preferable — but any cup is fine.
Special Notes: For our garnish we will be folding our base spirit, Big O Ginger, into vanilla ice cream.
Tickets for Tales of the Toddy are on sale now. Use the code cheer10 and get 10-percent off your ticket.