Brett Anderson has just released a list of the ten best things he ate last month, which is a fabulous reference for those wondering how critics actually eat during the summer...duh, seasonally. Here, Anderson, gobbles up lots of seafood, but throws some caution to the wind with a killer roast beef po' boy in Chalmette, dawlin'. Here are his top picks from last month:
- Crab Salad, Meauxbar: Visiting chef Anne Kearney (formerly of Peristyle) made this dainty salad with "Francophile touches" during her two-night visit to Meauxbar.
- Smoked eggplant, Bacchanal AND Charred Eggplant, Primitivo
- Key Lime Pie, P's & Q's
- Mullett Sandwich, Captain Joe Patti's Seafood Restaurant: This restaurant is actually in Pensacola, which explains why Anderson was eating mullet, a Florida fave.
- Pumpkin blossoms, La Provence
- Roast Beef Po' Boy, Rocky & Carlo's
- Shrimp & butternut squash bisque, Brigtsen's
- Shellfish stew, La Petite Grocery
- Shrimp Po' boy, Zimmer's Seafood