Although many of the winners in various categories in the Gambit's annual reader-decided "Best Of" poll are the same as previous years, the "Best New Restaurant" category has the one winner, by definition, that actually changes from year to year. This year Shaya nabs Best New Restaurant.
In a West Bank upset, 9 Roses takes best restaurant, although the fact that longtime West Bank champion Pho Tau Bay closed this year has something to do with it. Abita Amber wrested Best Local Beer back away from NOLA Blonde (Courtyard Brewery fans, step up and vote!) Otherwise, things are pretty much the same as last year, and as the year before.
Here now are some highlights of the Best of New Orleans: Food and Booze 2015. Head over to the Gambit's website for the full list of food and bars & entertainment winners.
There are a lot of categories in this thing, but here are some notables:
· Shaya gets Best New Restaurant over Angeline and tie for third between Avo and the Big Cheezy.
· Shogun takes the title of Best Japanese Restaurant away from Sake Cafe.
· Newcomer The Backyard is named Best Family Restaurant.
· Pizza Delicious wins Best Pizza.
· El Gato in the French Quarter nabs Best Mexican Food away from Juan's Flying Burrito.
· District: Donuts. Sliders. Brew. grabbed Best Doughnut away from Blue Dot.
· For the second year in a row, Seed nabs Best Menu for Vegans/Vegetarian, and Donald Link's Beard winner Peche wins Best Seafood.
· Pal's Lounge wins Best Neighborhood Bar.
· Commander's Palace gets Best New Orleans (read: Orleans Parish) restaurant. Again.
· The Joint takes Best Barbecue. Again.
· Company Burger gets Best Burger. Again.
· Cochon won Best Cajun. Again.
· Stein's takes Best Deli and Best Place To Get a Sandwich. Again.
· Domenica wins Best Happy Hour. Again.
· Dooky Chase nabs Best Creole. Again. Although they also won best Soul Food as well, which is a new twist.
· John Besh wins Best Chef. Again.
· Cure is Best Bar for Craft Cocktails. Again.
· Katie's is the Best Neighborhood Restaurant. Again.