Brace for the arrival of Jack & Jake's, the gigantic three-story market that will soon hit Central City. Gambit got a peek inside and spilled all the juicy details on the sprawling 30,000 square foot project. Here, the high points:
- Downstairs restaurant Muddy Rivers will serve Southern and "Louisiana-inspired" cuisine.
- Health nuts can head upstairs, where Island 40 will serve up vegetarian, vegan, and gluten-free options including salads and smoothies.
- A downstairs bar will feature 16 local beers on draft (growler fills available).
- In addition to "an all-local seafood booth," patrons will be able to slurp Gulf specimens at an oyster bar.
- New Orleans Ice Cream Company will have a presence hawking frozen treats.
- Expect "up to 100 different varieties" of cheese sourced from St. James Cheese Company.
- A cafe will serve French Truck coffee and house-baked breads and pastries.
- Upstairs there will be "a seed bank where customers can buy planting supplies from a local farmer."
- The whole building is equipped with wi-fi, natch.
- Various produce stands situated throughout the store will provide "a bounty of fresh fruits and vegetables from local farms."
- In a hurry? "A big selection of prepared foods, including sandwiches, salads and sides, will be offered" to stay or to-go.
- "A beer cave and wine and spirits area" will be heavy on local options.
- The market will open early on certain days so local chefs can buy wholesale.
CEO John W. Burns tells Gambit the multi-faceted grocery is "really, really close" to opening; stalk the market's Facebook page for updates.