Jazz Fest begins this Friday, April 24, and fair grounds food area whisperer Judy Walker takes a look at what to expect this year in terms of grub, including a kids food area overhaul, and the triumphant return of Creole Stuffed Breads and the most underrated dessert of all time—the sweet potato turnover from Marie's Sugar Dumplings—after a year off. Here now is a look at the hot newcomers at New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival 2015.
New food items at Jazz Fest 2015:
- Squeal Barbecue will do brisket and barbecue chicken sandwiches on Dong Phuong bread, and will have smoky bacon green beans.
- Fireman Mike now has a second booth here with dishes including fresh corn on the cob, a shrimp and corn muffin in Kids area.
- Ms. Linda also has a second booth in kids with new menu item the Sloppy Jeaux.
- Grilled cheese now available at the lemonade stand in kids area.
- J&M Booth (known for raw oysters) adds a lobster-roll-like crawfish salad roll in the grandstand.
- Loretta's pralines will do deep fried praline-stuffed beignets.
- Gallo & Marks will offer a pineapple-coconut smoothies.
- Shrimp remoulade po' boy from the Food for Thought booth in Food Area II.
- Italian chicken sausage po' boy from Vaucresson in Food Area I.
- The strawberry lemonade isn't new, but has been 'reformulated' this year.
As for departures, Lilian's Lemon Poundcake and Lil's Barbecue will no longer be available after forty years as vendors (with Squeal stepping in to provide barbecue).