Critic Brett Anderson has just announced The 5 Best New Restaurants of 2015, as part of The Times-Pic's huge Fall Dining Guide. Such as in years past, Anderson has again established his top five under the following guidelines: These restaurants haven't been considered for his coveted Top Ten Restaurants In New Orleans 2015 (which will be revealed tomorrow), and they all had to have opened after August 1, 2014 and be "fully operational by July 2015.
All that being said, here are Anderson's top five new restaurants in New Orleans (compare to 2014's crop if you feel so inclined):
- Angeline: "Alex Harrell reframes traditional Southern cuisine at his French Quarter restaurant."
- Balise: "Justin Devillier's cooking manages to be both sleek and wholesome, showcasing vegetables as well as it does veal sweetbreads, and favoring technique and taste equally."
- Brennan's: "With Slade Rushing at the head of the lavishly upgraded kitchen, Brennan's is positioned to keep pace with the evolving restaurant scene around it."
- Compère Lapin: "Compère Lapin's menu weaves chef Nina Compton's Caribbean roots (she was born and raised in St. Lucia) with those of her adopted city."
- Shaya: "The menu focuses on the cooking of chef Alon Shaya's native Israel and more broadly makes delicious points about Middle Eastern cuisine generally."
Thoughts and opinions? Leave a comment or send Eater a tip and tell us about it.