The Gambit has just released the results of their annual Best of New Orleans reader vote, available in this week's edition or live in digital format right now.
Food-wise, this year doesn't seem to have many huge surprises, with most category winners of yore maintaining total domination Pho Tau Bay winning Best West Bank Restaurant, Company Burger as Best Burger, and so forth. Best of New Orleans Food 2014 looks a lot like Best of New Orleans: Food 2013, to be honest.
In a year of big restaurant openings, MoPho nabs Best New Restaurant, but even that's not too surprising, considering Michael Gulotta's insanely delicious Louisiana/Vietnamese cuisine is still on fire. Other categories, though, surely will make the level-headed among us think twice--alas, Avenue Pub still isn't winning best beer category, for instance. Another Broken Egg in the top three breakfast spots? Erm. Smoothie King for best juice/smoothie bar? For shame.
Here now are some highlights of the Best of New Orleans: Food and Booze 2014. Head over to the Gambit's website for the full list of food and bars & entertainment winners.
There are a lot of categories in this thing, but here are some notables:
· Mopho gets Best New Restaurant over Pizza Domenica and Doris Metropolitan.
· Newcomer Seed nabs Best Menu for Vegans/Vegetarian.
· Donald Link's Beard winner Peche wins Best Seafood.
· Pal's Lounge locks down Best Neighborhood Bar.
· NOLA Brewing's NOLA Blonde wins for Best Locally Brewed Beer.
· Commander's Palace gets Best New Orleans (read: Orleans Parish) restaurant. Again.
· The Joint takes Best Barbecue. Again.
· Company Burger gets Best Burger. Again.
· Cochon won Best Cajun. Again.
· Stein's takes Best Deli and Best Place To Get a Sandwich. Again.
· Domenica wins Best Hotel Restaurant and Best Happy Hour. Again.
· Dooky Chase nabs Best Creole. Again.
· John Besh wins Best Chef. Again.
· Cure is Best Bar for Craft Cocktails. Again.
· T-Fitz wins Best Radio Host! Fried calamari for all.