clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

King Cake Crazy Train, Reconcile is NOWFE Beneficiary

NOLA— Yesterday bakeries from all over New Orleans gathered at Champions Square to compete in the King Cake Festival and raise money for Ochsner Hospital. Here are some fess photos from NoDef including the obligatory lady-in-a-tutu shot. [NolaDefender]

CENTRAL CITY— New Orleans Wine & Food Experience has chosen Cafe Reconcile as the beneficiary of the upcoming 2014 event, and will be granted 40% percent of tevent proceeds, with the remaining 60% going to six more local nonprofits. NOWFE's mission is to support the local community by donating its profits to hospitality-based education programs and other vital community organizations. Over the past 21 years NOWFE has raised more than $1 million dollars for local organizations. [Eaterwire]

OLD JEFFERSON— Finally, a baby that's actually inside the king cake. Yes, Haydel's pecan praline cake brings the baby fun time, and Judy Walker reports, "this cake is a winner. The dough is incredibly tender and flavorful, fluffy and perfectly balanced, not too sweet or too dry. We found ourselves pinching the praline topping off the top of the cake to nibble." All that and there's a king kong/baby kong/mama kong collectible figurine included this year too. Rad. [NOLA.com]

NOLA— Here's another baked-in baby: La Dolce NOLA's "no frills" cream cheese filled king cake that Todd A. Price notes is "like the Honda Civic of king cakes: classic, dependable and not loaded up with features you don't need." Available at Artz Bagelz, Morning Call in City Park, and more places. [NOLA.com]

NOLA— Finally, an order-only king cake (via Good Eggs) with a raw red bean baked inside in lieu of baby: Locally Preserved's "substantive" Strawberry-Basil Cream Cheese King Cake isn't too sweet, but is all local and organic. [NOLA.com]
[Photo: Facebook]

Cafe Reconcile

1631 Oretha C Haley Boulevard, New Orleans, LA 70113 (504) 568-1157

La Dolce Nola Snackery and Gelateria

200 Metairie Road Suite 100, Metairie, LA 70005 504 832 1122

Sign up for the newsletter Sign up for the Eater New Orleans newsletter

The freshest news from the local food world