The First Annual New Orleans Vendy Awards? a.k.a the Oscars of street food? has just announced the nine finalists who were nominated by their adoring fans, and chosen from thousands of vendors. These nine finalists will compete to be crowned the city's top street chef:
· Woody's Fish Tacos, chef/owner Woody Ruiz
· Hot Tamale Mama, chef/owner Pam T. Warner
· Taceaux Loceaux, chef/owners Maribeth and Alex del Castillo
· La Cocinita, chef/owner Benoit Angulo & Rachel Billow
· Foodie Call, chef/owners Eric and Paul Theard
· Vaucresson Sausage Co, Prez and Grill Master Vance Vaucresson
· Fat Falafel,chef/owners Theresa Galli and Gavin Cady
· Empanada Intifada, chef/owner Taylor Jackson
· Ms. Linda's Soul Food Catering Company, owner The Ya-Ka-Mein Lady Ms. Linda Green
These finalists will go head-to-head next Wednesday, March 13th at the Vendy Awards at the French Market? you can still get TIX here? to see who will be crowned best vendor in 2013. The event benefits Slow Food NOLA and the New Orleans Food Truck Coalition.
The judges for the Vendy Awards will be Chef Andrew Gerson of the Mobile Food Vendor Association & Brooklyn Brewery House, Juan Carlos Gonzalez of SoBou, Sara Roahan Gumbo Tales author/Prez of the Board of Directors of the Southern Foodways Alliance, and Poppy Tooker founder of Slow Food Nola and Louisana Eats radio show.