New Orleans City Business reports that chef Philip Lopez' upcoming Square Root is taking shape at 1800 Magazine in the LGD. Developer Nicholas Shay, a business partner in Root/owner of the Square Root building, says the restaurant "should be ready to open by January" 2014. After putting about $500k into renovations, and another $500k into restaurant equipment/"other components" Shay says the 3,700-square-foot building will house two completely different restaurant concepts over two floors. Here's the latest details on upcoming Square Root, per City Business:
· Downstairs level will have a horseshoe bar that seats 16 people with a chef in the center.
· Downstairs menu will feature a "dozen pre-planned, tapas-style dishes. "
· Upstairs will specialize in housemade charcuterie and cheeses, with a small-plates menu as well.
· "There will also be arrangements for small private events, which, he said, has been in demand at Root."
· The second floor has a "wraparound balcony with 600-square-feet of additional seating space."
· A third floor will have a wine room and office space.