While New Year's Eve always seems a great time to don the sweatpants and head for the couch, this year Eater suggests you say no to the Seacrest cringe fest and leave the house for some downright local debauchery. Whether you feel like feasting on caviar and drinking the champers til you drop, or tattooing Dennis Rodman's earlobe in the bathroom of Ampersand, New Orleans has a little something for everyone on December 31st. We present to you the most promising New Year's Eve celebrations in town. Don't forget to call ahead to secure tickets and reservations.
Don't see a killer celebration or menu listed? E-mail us down the tipline or leave us the info in a comment!
SO HOT RIGHT NOW
· For $60, La Crepe Nanou offers a French and fabulous three course prix-fixe at 6p.m. The 9pm seating is $70 and features Pierre Pichon's live gypsy jazz. Rezzies at (504) 899-3670.
· Chef Dustin has prepared a five-course meal at Salu, each paired with a wine selection. Cost varies.
· Mayor Mitch Landrieu rings in the New Year at Jackson Square, as a two-dimensional fleur de lis ornament descends a 25-foot pole atop Jax Brewery at midnight, thus commencing fireworks. "Baby New Year" clad in Saints Helmet and not much else, will also make an appearance atop Jax Brewery. Music starts at 9pm with Brassaholics,Mia Borders, Bonerama.
· Grand Isle is offering a half dozen raw oysters and a glass of Roederer champagne for
$14.99 now through the New Year.
· A six-course menu is available at the Rib Room in the Omni Royal with several seatings. The cost for the 6p.m. seating is $90 per person; 8, 8:30 and 9p.m. seatings cost is $125 per person and includes a glass of Champagne for a midnight toast. Reservations can be made at (504) 529-5333.
· For $71, you can take part in a New Years tradition at Tipitina's. Galactic plays, MyNameIsJohnMichael opens. VIP tix are $201 and include dinner from Jacques-Imo's, free booze, a special entrance/viewing area, plus you get to meet the band and have them sign your boobs. Doors at 9 p.m.
· For $109.99 or $169.99 VIP, Big Night New Orleans offers an all-inclusive night of partying at the Hyatt Regency, promising party favors for all (not those kind, you junkie), drinks, food, and lots of young people with really really white teeth. The Saints' Joseph Morgan and a team of entertainment-bots including Cowboy Mouth, Stooges Brass Band, and DJ types party from 9pm-2am.
· The Grill Room has two seatings for their epic four course dinner (w/ caviar option). 5:30 & 6:30p.m. seatings are $95. 8 & 9p.m. seatings are $250 and include a party in La Chinoiserie Ballroom on the 23rd floor of the Windsor Court featuring Shannon Powell Band, a dessert buffet, free boozy booze & a champagne toast at midnight.
GOING DOWN IN FLAMES
· For $25, hipsters and hipster-haters collide in the scenester stratosphere known as One Eyed Jacks for the Black Lips and King Louie. Doors at 9 p.m. Watch out for flying saliva.
· Dennis Rodman was
kidnapped plucked from his stripper farm and flown out for this very special night at Ampersand. $25 gets you a glimpse of 1990's MTV royalty... wasn't he a basketball player too? Doors at 8p.m. lots of DJs/house music.
· For $15, you can see Leftover Crack, the Vapo Rats, Mea Culpa, Juicy Karkass and Crackbox at Siberia starting at 9p.m. Then you can feel like all of the above on New Years Day.
· All Holiday Guides [-ENOLA-]